Land for People
The only way to get land for people is moving to Honourable High Court to implement Government order that requires the Company to provide land free of cost to workers for building their own houses and resume the excess lands. We will get excess land provided there is people's pressure, which I hope would automatically come once the process in on.
We have valid legal case. I hope we will win in near future. We can file the Writ only after three weeks because representations to Govt, and Land Board should be submitted before filing the writ petition. Probably by the third week of November, we can file the Writ before Honourable High Court.
Some of the grounds on which the Writ Petition would be filed are,
1. The object of the KDH(Land Resumption) Act, 1971 was to resume excess lands and distribute it to poor. But it has not been realised.
2. KDHP and Tata hold over 58,744 Acres of land in Kannan Devan Hills and they use only 21,000 Acres for tea cultivation.
3. The plantation company has caused internal displacement of over 96,000 people and has deprived 55,000 of basic standard of living.
4. KDH is the most deprived village in the state and massive discrimination is practiced in every walk of life.
5. The Government possess 20,620 acres of land within the estates and vast lands are available for distributing it to families of serving workers and displaced people.
The main prayers of the Writ would be,
1. Writ of mandamus to implement G.O(M.S) No. 44/2018 dated 29th June, 2018.
2. Tata and KDHP hold an estimated 19,266 Acres of excess land. It has to be resumed and distributed to the people under KDH(Land Resumption) Act, 1971.
The details of Writ run into 92 pages and exhibits over another 500 pages. As of now we are not in a position to share it. Will share as soon as it is filed before the Honourable Courts.
The fantastic efforts, initiative, and leadership shown by you deserve commendation. All these long years nobody bothered about the poor people of Kanan Devan Hills. Their standard of living hardly improved over the years. In fact, pottimudi tragedy opened our eyes. I'm still hopeful that Tata & Sons would do something for the development of infrastructure and improve medical facilities. Kannan Devan Hills shown a great leader. Entire people of Munnar and adjoining areas will be with you. Keep it up. Success would follow under the effective leadership. Regards